9 June 2015

B Movie: Lust and Sound in West Berlin 1979-1989

A while ago Boris and I went to a screening of B-Movie, a documentary featuring footages from the underground scene in west Berlin during the 80s. We live for everything 80s and everything Berlin, so we were very excited.



The best part about the film is that it is basically about how this one guy from Manchester moves to Berlin and has a video blog about what is going on- clubs, gigs, subcultures; god knows where those films have been lying, but the cluster was amazing. You get to see a tour of West Berlin: the peek of squats and music genres like post punk and new wave, featuring bands like Malaria! as well as Blixa Bargeld, Nick Cave, David Bowie and other musicians that I admire.

One of my favorite captures from the film of one of the pedestrians in the Kreuzberg district.
Source
The story is very simple- it is about how one enjoys all the things the city has to offer, over does it and gets tired and disappointed, and then moves on to something new- different subcultures emerging, different music and of course with it- the fall of the wall, which literally breaks the little bubble people in west Berlin were living in. I liked how the film combines history and music altogether.

We took the film personally, as Boris and I too came to Berlin for a change of scenery and for the freedom and the music, so we had a very tender feeling throughout it :)

Malaria!
Source
I really recommend watching this film, it was kind of a follow up for us after The Wings Of Desire, which also depicts west Berlin, its music and atmosphere during the 80s. B-Movie is more DIY and less romantic, but you still kind of wish you were there.

So much for news. It has been almost a week since I´ve had my knee surgery and am currently resting at home. I will probably need 2 more weeks. All is well, but I do miss using my leg normally now and am kind of bored.

N. Finsternis

4 comments:

  1. definitely sounds like a movie to watch when i get the chance to! thank you for recommenting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a cool film. And Berlin seems just as cool today, from your posts anyway

    ReplyDelete